Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Slightly magnetic stainless steel rods?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:16:24 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 2/16/2016 11:07 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 07:55:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 16 Feb 2016 03:57:29 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-02-16, Ignoramus21354 wrote:
I picked up several rods that seem to be made from stainless steel (as
everything else at that place had specks of rust).

However, they are slightly magnetic. Clearly much less magnetic than
regular steel, but magnetic enough to make magnetic darts barely stick
to them and not fall.

What material can it be?

The rods are about 1 3/4" diameter and several feet long.

If it is cold-rolled (likely for such rods) it is work hardened,
and work-hardened stainless is slightly magnetic.

And, IIRC, 416 (and the other 400 series) are less "stainless"
and slightly more magnetic.
to $,000
At some point (given what you do), you may want to get one of
those magic guns which can analyze a metal and tell you what alloy it
is.

I'm surprised that, in his business, Ig doesn't already have one.
They're only 20-50 grand or so.

There are a couple of new ones I saw at Fabtech -- Thermo Scientific
Niton XL5, and Rigaku Katana 6063. I think the Niton is around $15k. I
don't know the price of the Rigaku.

I see Ebay has some used for $5500 to $9,000, plus there is a $40
service to analyze samples for you. Although, I think it is overseas,
the English seems to be a second language. There are other services.
Mikek

You can get an analysis done for around $50. That seems to be the
going price. If it was for a big load of scrap, and if it only came up
once in a while, that would be the way to go.

Again, though, someone like Iggy has to ask what the value is of
knowing the alloy with that much precision. With some experience and
some good test samples, you can do a reasonable job with spark
testing.

I've never seen compessed-air testing done, but that's another option,
and supposedly it is a bit more accurate than spark testing with a
grinding wheel.

--
Ed Huntress