Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Returning to that Scope SMPS Problem...

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:16:07 -0500, legg wrote:

By the way......I very strongly doubt that this assembly was issued from
the factory with transistor sockets. I would be suspicious of any
substitutions made here, as they are ripe for error, even if only for
part lead identification.

Maybe. But the main signal boards are all socketed, so the fact that the
psu board is too is not suspicious.

The low voltage square-plate ceramics (63V to 150V) referred to
elsewhere are visibly in use on this unit, in the photos supplied. The
location of the two suspect parts is not visible/identifiable.

Yes, they're tucked away tightly next to the side of the transformer with
the top prongs sticking out of it. You can only see one, but someone has
used two in parallel to make up the required 560pF I would guess, but I
can't see without pulling them - which I will of course. BTW, there's
another variant of this schematic which uses just one 560pF 500V ceramic
instead of the fixed and variable combo shown on the schematic I've
previously posted, so perhaps Philips themselves had problems with this
part of the design before!

If you have a bill of materials, listing a 500VDC requirement, perhaps
you might distribute this as well? Wondering where it came from, if not
from a service manual? It's possible that tempcos may be specified, if
only indirectly, in the part numbers listed.

I could find no further info on the actual model I have, but I discovered
the PM3262 is identical except it has only 2 channels, so I downloaded
the plans for that instead. It contains a rough description of how the
switcher section works. Here's the link (ignore the 4112 bit, it's an
error, you get the 3262 trust me!)

http://www.download-service-manuals.com/en/manual.php?
file=Philips-4112.pdf