Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Draining Hot Water Heaters

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:10:53 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 7:06:58 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
(many tanks are glass lined; metal into glass is a big FAIL)

I think "glass" is most likely "fiberglas." Can't imagine transporting a real glass tank without breaking it.

Absolutely, at least for Sears and AOSmith.

I cut one of mine open and there was a layer like vinyl, about 1/4",
clearish, a little whitish, translucent. I had to work to pry it away
from metal shell and it bent, with much more effort, like a uninflated
basketball. Eventually I got parts of it inside out, but even then,
there wasn't a chance of its breaking or leaking .

Used a reciprocating saw to cut it open. I'm too cheap to replace
worn blades and eventually there were no teeth, but it cut almost as
fast as before. Cut it in about 5 or 10 pieces and threw it away
with the trash.