Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Draining Hot Water Heaters

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:26:19 -0700, "Ashton Crusher"
wrote:

I'm not sure if its necessary, just wondering what others think.

I used to drain mine but it didn't seem to make any difference in how
long they lasted. What I found works best is to buy the cheapest tank
you can get, then turn the temperature down to about 125. At lower
temperatures it seems that far less sediment precipitates out and the
tank lasts much longer. The "six year" tanks typically last 10 years
or more at the lower temperature. With all the time you saved over

TIME?
How much time does it take to connect a garden hose, run it to a floor
drain, shut off the flame or electric, and the cold water valve. The
draining itself can happen while you cook supper or watch a movie. Then
you close that drain valve, remove the hose and turn back on the heating
source and cold water.

10 minutes worth of time at most....

You probably spend at least 10 minutes daily brushing your teeth and
shaving!

the years not bothering to drain them you have saved up enough time to
spend the half day just replacing it once a decade.