Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default push pull transistor pairs

wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

Whether they re-label or not in actuality, they *say* not.

** Really - where ?

Being in the US, I may pick up the phone and give Mouser
(or the ON factory in Mexico, if I wish) a call at no cost.
I have spoken to Mouser on just this issue on the 3772,
and their statement is that the higher the suffix letter
(they are up to G, now), the more upgraded the unit.

** The "G" suffix indicates a Pb free package.

Some dude on the phone ain't gonna know or care which chip is inside what package.

But they stated that the 2N3772 is not a re-label,

** I never mentioned the 2N3772.

The Motorola/On 2N3773 is a re-label.

Because it is a HUGELY popular transistor

** That is complete ******** - Mouser list the 2N3772 ( both ON and ST versions) as *obsolete* and it has been so for decades.

FYI:

2N numbers are open to be manufactured by anyone who cares to and no two makers do it the same way. Plus they can change them as they please, cos they only have to meet the minimum spec published for the part number.

MJ and MJE numbers are owned by Motorola/ON - so they can change what is inside any time and they do.

Anyone who wants to use exact transistors to repair a vintage amplifier HAS to find vintage parts.

..... Phil