Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Dremel/mototool "bits"

On 2/16/2016 7:48 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
I also don't use the guide, just the round file.

How do you keep the file from wandering too deep into the gullet?

Just put the file into the round grove. I realize it's the upper part
that needs the sharp edge so I press a little upward.

Even with the guide, I have an overwhelming "urge" to move the
file lower into the gullet. It is only the guide that prevents
me from doing so (I invariably have to examine the guide to see
why it won't let me put the file where *I* want it to go!)

*Big* difference between a "really sharp" chain and one that you've let
go a wee bit too long. Usually pretty obvious while you're using the saw:
does *it* do the work? Or, do *you* have to PUSH it through the wood?

Yes, I get the same "cuts better" effect from sharpening.
After Sandy I had a crew come in with one guy that seemed to really
know what he was doing. He sharpened his saw the same way. Just
a round file.

Keeping it "on hand" (so there's no disincentive to using it) and
not getting carried away (trying to remove too much material)
seems to make it easier to keep the saw (chain) operating at its
sweet spot.

I've a healthy respect for chainsaws; never want to find myself
"forcing it" -- to do ANYTHING! :