Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT You can imagine this happening here too.

On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 14:48:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I know so where do all the syrian famailes and the refugee familes end
up ? whether it's 10,000 or 20,000 they aren't all single people and
we're told that we have a housing shortage and that there are homless
people, but we have homes for 20k people arriving in the UK and we have
homes for them just sitting there waiting to be occupied where are these
homes ? We've had DIY SOS building home for a dozon or so 'war hereos'
and for every home offered that's one less for the polish or the
romainsns or the bulgarians or all the other EU and commonweath citizens
are trying to buy or rent.

In general, single people have always been expected to find their own
accommodation. Bedsit, etc.

Yes and in the past this has been quite easy to achieve. From 1986 until relatively recently you could view and chose where to live.
Plenty of affordable places on the market.

Now can you actualy find anywhere were you could afford to live
if you were looking for your first bedsit or flat ?

Which is the problem with the 'bedroom tax' Very little council
accommodation built for single people or even couples. Most of it for
families.

Yes and we all know families appear from thin air don't we.

And when the kids leave, the parents end up with a house bigger
than their needs - and might well happily move to somewhere more suitable,
if it existed.

and because there isn't they emigrate in some cases, in others they move to the coast or other areas which of course increases the prices for the locals there.

I'm suprised no ones noticed that the UK population is increasing relatively fast considering we have on average 2.4 kids per couple.