Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

I would like to be proven wrong, but I just do not see any advantage over
the oil filled heaters over the electric heaters that just have a heating
element and a fan blowing across them. Isn't electric heat just the same
either way and you are wasting the money on a more expensive heater ?
Anything that produces heat from elecrtricity is going to use the same
ammout of KWH to raise the room to the same temperature.

I feel they are safer. Except in one case described here, Burst into flames
from leak. Perhaps thermostat stuck. Like to run them full on so they don't
cycle. Just turn watts down.

Greg