Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Dremel/mototool "bits"

On 2/15/2016 11:10 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Don Y writes:

On 2/15/2016 9:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message

OK, so it's reasonably "capable". (why not a round file and guide for
the saw? seems like you're tempting fate with a motorized tool -- Ooops!)

I did not seem to get the hang of sharpning the chain saw with a file and
guide to do a very good job.

I find the hardest part of sharpening (with file/guide) is keeping
the saw wedged between my thighs (as I usually sharpen it while I'm
in the middle of *using* it -- somewhere in the yard).

I lay it down.

With the blade flat on the ground (or parallel to it)?
If so, how do you keep fuel mixture and chain oil from
seeping out?

I also don't use the guide, just the round file.

How do you keep the file from wandering too deep into the gullet?

Works for me.

I straddle the saw, bar pointing away from me, so it's not going
anywhere. Then, move the chain, by hand, until I can locate a
convenient reference (often, two left or two right cutters in
a row, instead of alternating; sometimes a different spacing
between adjacent cutters).

I *kiss* each left cutter, advance chain to next left cutter,
repeat until I've moved through the entire length of the chain.
Then, swap hands and do the right cutters.

Guide makes sure the file stays "high" on the cutter (but not
TOO high) from one to the next. Witness marks on the top side
of the guide help me hold it at the correct angle in relation to
the bar.

I have another gauge that I use to check the height of the rakers
(and a flat file for those). But, they tend not to need to be
tweeked.

Run a finger gently over each tooth to verify they "catch" my
flesh, just a bit.

I keep a wrench (to loosen the bar), screwdriver (to adjust bar tension),
file and guide in my pocket when using saw. I don't want to let the
"inconvenience" of having to return home to fetch them deter me from
keeping the saw nice and sharp.

*Big* difference between a "really sharp" chain and one that you've let
go a wee bit too long. Usually pretty obvious while you're using the saw:
does *it* do the work? Or, do *you* have to PUSH it through the wood?

If I hear a neighbor using a saw, I'll usually wander over to see
how much "work" it is for them. As it only takes a few minutes
to touch up a chain, I'll often offer to do so -- and watch their
eyes light up, afterwards, at how much easier the saw is to use.

[Of course, *they* never seem to grasp the idea that THEY should
be doing this instead of forcing a dull saw to do the work...]