Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mono Laser All in Ones now less than thirty quid!

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 07:13:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 23:10:04 UTC, T i m wrote:
Really? I don't think I've ever 'binned a printer before it died'?

I binned one when the new colour printer was cheaper than a replacement toner for the old one.

Sure (I've stopped using a printer before it dies because I've gone
onto something else / better) except that wasn't quite the meaning
behind NT's reply to my:

Which means you can't use it a shared printer unless you share it
though a Windows PC.

and will mean binning it long before it dies.

The problem (to a tiny minority not running Windows) being a 'Windows
only' printer relies on Windows (unless some geek in a shed reverse
engineers the Windows drivers) to run and so if you want to share it
over the network you would also have to do that via a Windows PC. As
new Windows versions come out (after day 13 years as Vista was to XP)
it's *possible* that the printer would no longer be supported (by any
later version).

However as most 'ordinary users' would agree (with reference to (not)
doing what they want on Linux)... 'better to have had and lost than
never to have had at all.' ;-)

Cheers, T i m