Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/13/2016 2:20 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 12:26 AM, Don Y wrote:
he issue is that there are no "obvious" rules governing when/where you
should ENTER that lane! So, I could opt to start *driving* in it
(not just waiting to turn) long before I plan on actually turning.
This, of course, means anyone wanting to make a turn at any of the
places I "drive by" gets screwed into waiting (in their LEFTMOST
lane of traffic) until I've driven past.

I've seen that a lot on the five lanes here. Someone sees a clear spot in the
two lanes on their side and crosses them, hanging out in the suicide lane
waiting for a break so they can merge in.

Exactly. But, now they are a "fixed obstacle" to anyone wanting to use
that lane for a turn from *either* direction!

As you say, there's no real
definition. We have a lot of four way stops. Most drivers have figured out the
etiquette and they work well. Conflicts in the suicide lanes don't occur
regularly enough for there to be an etiquette.

We have a lot of places where another "traffic control" (sign/light)
*should* be installed. But, the bean counters only act based on
actual TALLYABLE *accidents*. So, all the "grief" a lack of control
may cause doesn't count for anything.

Our biggest "control" problem lies with the f*cked up way they
redefined the intersections. When you approach an intersection,
you encounter the Stop Line ("stop here"). Then, typically, a
"cross walk" (domain of pedestrians). Then, some distance further
afield the intersection *legally* begins.

For an interesting example:
,149m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86d66f8252320bfb:0xf2093 af34cd6dcd6

(hopefully I've snipped the URL correctly for the satellite view)
Note the distance (car lengths) between the stop line (first stripe
across roadway), crosswalk (second and third stripes) and "wait"
line (fourth stripe at the "curb extension" defining the intersection).

So, you end up with folks stopped *in* the crosswalk. Illegal to enter
the intersection (which may *begin* 20 ft further down the road!) after
the light changes -- but, you've already crept past the stop line
in the hope of getting through the intersection on the preceding
green/yellow (think: turns).

Folks don't know how to handle it when they find themselves trapped.
So, you get folks trying to backup to creep back in front of the
stop line, etc.

Morons in Feenigs who feel it is their moral duty to just keep (re)writing
laws...

At least we don't have the Tucson system where the direction of the lane
changes depending on the time of day.

No, that's primarily in D.C.

I thought Grant or one of those had a fifth center lane that was westbound in
the afternoon and eastbound in the morning.

No, that was "done away with" (can't say "eliminated" cuz the lane is still
*there*, just no longer has that "feature!") about 10-12 years ago. Now the
"center lane" is intended solely for traffic entering or exiting the
respective lanes.

It's still a source of confusion as many folks are intimidated by it.

Ditto the "lagging left".