Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/13/2016 2:26 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 12:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

Some bike riders install aftermarket headlight modulators that sort of makes
them warble, if that's a word to apply to a visual effect. That may be illegal
in some jurisdictions and certainly isn't wide spread.

Ah, I'd seen that a couple of times. I always thought the lamp ass'y
was *loose* and bouncing around as the bike hit bumps in the road
(though I couldn't *tell* that there were bumps -- or not -- just
"that must be what's causing the light to bounce around!"

I don't know how effective they are. After having people pull out in front of
me when I was driving a 13' 6" high, 65' vehicle with a bright red cab and the
headlights on. I find it safer just to consider my fellow motorists as escapees
from a sheltered workshop.

And, no doubt, they were *angry* that you CREPT UP so close behind them!

I *try* to be aware of what's around me. And, what *their* problems are
likely to be.

E.g., you won't see me in the "road sheep" role (clinging in another
driver's blind spot -- speeding up and slowing down to *ensure* that
relationship remains constant). If driving next to a carload of little
kids, I'll expect "Mommy" to turn around to scold one of them WHILE
driving. When passing a truck, I'll be sure I've seen his *eyes* in
his mirror as I head past. etc.

People take too many things in life as if they were "rides" at DisneyLand;
as if they were not responsible for how the "ride" operated; that someone or
something would magically keep them safe (from themselves).