Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_8_] Muggles[_8_] is offline

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

On 2/13/2016 4:11 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:49:45 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 2:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

The 2 that I bought has great reviews. They have a thermostat and can
cycle between the heat settings and even turn itself off when temps are
reached, then turn itself back on and cycle through the heat settings again.

IOW, it'll heat up the oil in the radiator, turn itself off while it
radiates the heat, and when it cools down, it'll do it again. It's not
using power to heat all the time - only uses power to heat the oil and
when it's to temp it cycles off. Make sense?

The net power used is the same. One difference is it is RADIANT heat
- which heats you without heating the air around you. Actually, it is
partly radiant heat, as the air does get heated somewhat by contacting
the body of the heater - but it is primarily a "radiator", so a draft
or opening a door doesn't dump all the heat (contained in the air) out
the door.

I'm glad I found something that finally actually works.

--
Maggie