Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 02/13/2016 12:26 AM, Don Y wrote:
he issue is that there are no "obvious" rules governing when/where you
should ENTER that lane! So, I could opt to start *driving* in it
(not just waiting to turn) long before I plan on actually turning.
This, of course, means anyone wanting to make a turn at any of the
places I "drive by" gets screwed into waiting (in their LEFTMOST
lane of traffic) until I've driven past.

I've seen that a lot on the five lanes here. Someone sees a clear spot
in the two lanes on their side and crosses them, hanging out in the
suicide lane waiting for a break so they can merge in. As you say,
there's no real definition. We have a lot of four way stops. Most
drivers have figured out the etiquette and they work well. Conflicts in
the suicide lanes don't occur regularly enough for there to be an
etiquette.

At least we don't have the Tucson system where the direction of the lane
changes depending on the time of day.

No, that's primarily in D.C.

I thought Grant or one of those had a fifth center lane that was
westbound in the afternoon and eastbound in the morning.