Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:38:01 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 07:39:58 -0000, Micky wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:39:08 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:36:28 -0000, Micky wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:33:20 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 19:39:08 -0000, Micky wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:48:05 -0600, "Mr. Emann"
wrote:

On 2/12/2016 11:30 AM, philo wrote:

Yes, even with my lights in the "off" position there are still "running
lights". I don't know if there is anyway to turn them off completely

The daylight running lights on my truck will turn off when the emergency
brake is set. If I want to turn them off I just push the emergency brake
pedal just far enough to turn off the lights but not enough to engage
the brakes.

Yeah, I finally found out how to run the engine with the lights off,
as you say, in case I want to surveil

My newsreader says that isn't a word, sounds cool though.

I'm not surprised. It's new-speak, from cop shows. I woudln't
normally use it but I was playing a role.

Yes, I first heard it on an American cop show. I didn't realise they'd made it up, I thought it was just too rare for me to have heard it before.

I think it's called a back formation, from an earlier word. It may be
standard some day. Quite a few of words we use all the time started
that way. Especially when no other simple word means the same
thing. It's from surveillance of course, and I think whatever French
verb that noun comes from is "survey" in English, but to say "I
surveyed my girlfriend" would give entirely the wrong impression.

my girlfriend on a cold night,

Won't she hear the engine?

She's inside and I'm across the street and two houses down. It's a
quiet engine also.

But I've actually never done this.

So you say....

;-)

I offered to go over to my ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's house and
see if his car was there or not, after she had asked if I would. But
then she changed her mind.

Why does she want her ex to spy on her new one?

We've been friends for 20 years now, since we broke up. This guy
came years later. She thought he was out with someone else.

And I did go to my dentist's home one night, after no one called me
back after I called his emergency number and the 3 office numbers, one
of which, based on the answering machine, seemed like it was his home
number instead. Unfortunately, he had a long not-straight driveway
and trees and I couldn't see if his car was there or not.

He called me the next morning, Saturday, at 11, but he called on my
cell, after I gave him that number only for Friday morning, and he
left a message that he was out of town and would call me when he got
back in a few hours. (Maybe he was in DC which is only an hour away).
But then he never called and never answered my email. He made two

I know he read the email btw. He seemed to open it 3 times over 4 or
5 days.

other big mistakes in treatment that month too, the exact same mistake
twice. What a jerk.

Eventually I'm going to go to his office to get him to talk to me. If
he's embarrassed in front of his other patients, that would be fine.

Doesn't your dental practice have more than one dentist? If I have a toothache and my regular dentist is away, I can use another one.

He would only have to have an arrangement with another dentist or two.
It wouldn't even have to be someone in the same practice**. And I
assumed he did. I assumed that any decent dentist has that*** and
later I saw t hat he had an emergency number on his webpage. But the
number was, I guess, his number, not some service that would find the
dentist on call.

**For example my brother is a radiologist, and even though it was
known when he started that he would take vacations, iiuc when he went
out of town, it was his responsibility to arrange with another
radiologist to work for him. Fortunately there was one who didn't
work full time because she had a young child, and she would work two
weeks for him or two days, as she did sometimes for other radiologists
in town. But not 50 weeks a year.

***which implies he's not a decent dentist, and he's not.

But what if I want to turn the lights on when the car is not running?
A 2000 Toyota. I still don't know how to do that?

Use normal headlights like people did before all this bull****.

I already own the car and I own the headlights that are in it. There
is no room for a second set of headlights. So that won't work.

Huh? All cars have headlights. Operate the headlight switch. The headlights come on.

I don't think they do.

Nothing to do with the car being running or not.

The switch is on all the time, and the lights go on when the engine
goes on. The photocell on the dash determines which lights go on. But
maybe if I turn the switch off and back on again, the lights really
will go on even if the engine's not running. I'll try it. I had
this all settled two or three years ago, but then I forgot how it
works. This plan doens't ring a bell, but maybe.

Are you saying your car won't allow headlights if the engine is off, or it won't allow them if it's light?

Only that I don't know how to do it.

Both could be bypassed with a simple rewire.