Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 02/13/2016 11:44 AM, dpb wrote:

It generally has not been the bottom pulling away from the rear side
that is the failure observed in my experience but the thin ply itself
just isn't stiff enough and so bows excessively w/ time. This is only
exacerbated by the thinner material available now and by more than just
the relatively thickness as bending moments are ~bh^3 where the
thickness is the height, h. Hence, a 64th short on a quarter isn't just
7/8 ~ 90% as stiff but (7/8}^3 or only 2/3-rds!

I knew that seemed too bad even as I sent it...it's

15/16 ~ 94% as stiff but (15/16}^3 or only approx 80% more closely.

Still, you lose more than just proportional which can be significant for
wide, deep drawers.