Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Pad-lifting

John-Del wrote:

I had a Samsung multi layer board that was working but quit after I
replaced a typical leaded electrolytic that was vented a bit. Top and
bottom connections fine but the middle layer was not. Several reheats did
not fix it.

Fortunately I had a working board and I used a DMM on the diode scale (for
the audible) and attached one lead to the cap in question and I waltzed
the other lead around the board on every point until I found a zero ohm
connection that did not exist on the damaged board. Running an external
jumper fixed it.

Well, you got lucky. You'd want to find the closest point that same net
came to another through-hole. If that net didn't come out to another hole
nearby, the long wire would somewhat defeat the purpose of the cap. If in a
high frequency circuit like a switching regulator, it might not work.

Jon