Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 02/13/2016 9:03 AM, Leon wrote:

... Now I did build about 30-40 drawers for some
bathroom cabinets for Swingman in 2011. His specs called for the bottoms
to be slid in under the back of the drawer and fixed in place. Those
drawers did however have 1/2 thick maple veneer plywood bottoms.

That way is, of course, very typical furniture drawer construction and
in a lot of commercial cabinetry.

For heavier or larger kitchen drawers I don't think it matters terribly
if one uses at least 3/8" instead of 1/4" ply or the more costly and
labor intensive solid stock.

It generally has not been the bottom pulling away from the rear side
that is the failure observed in my experience but the thin ply itself
just isn't stiff enough and so bows excessively w/ time. This is only
exacerbated by the thinner material available now and by more than just
the relatively thickness as bending moments are ~bh^3 where the
thickness is the height, h. Hence, a 64th short on a quarter isn't just
7/8 ~ 90% as stiff but (7/8}^3 or only 2/3-rds!