Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/13/2016 6:38 AM, Gene Yuss wrote:
On 02/13/2016 12:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
People zone out when driving. They get "acclimated" to a particular
set of stimuli -- then tend to ignore it.

If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

This is the rationale for every tweek to the safety equipment (e.g., now
center mounted brake lights *flash* when first applied; it's not enough
that they are UP HIGH, in your LINE OF SIGHT -- cuz you've gotten used
to seeing them there and now "tune them out".

Brake lights should broadcast a wifi signal that flashes the
smartphone screens of the texting driver(s) behind you when
you apply the brakes. Or is there already an app for that?

Ha! Or, "we interrupt this call to tell you that you're about
to *ss-end the vehicle in front of you. Please hang up so we can
autodial your insurance carrier..."

[Actually, I suspect there will be pressure for phones to
report the "their" speed of travel whenever they "notice"
a sudden, instantaneous change (decrease) in speed! Perhaps
not legislated but, rather, insurance company incentives.
Given how integrated telecoms are becoming with new cars,
it wouldn't be hard for the car to "tattle" on the driver.
IIRC, our owner's manual essentially says this -- though
in an obtuse way.]