Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:03:38 -0600, Ignoramus20662

On 2016-02-12, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 16:17:54 -0600, Ignoramus9436
wrote:

Here's a picture of us unloading it at my place

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/4500-hp-motor-unloading.jpg

You do know that the sling you are using is nothing more than a
bandaid....right?

Wrong.

These slings are rated at 5.5 tons vertical. I am lifting at most 8
tons. The slings are in like new condition, a very generous company
recently gifted me a bunch of them. 3/4, 1" etc

That sling is rated at a dead load of 30,000 lbs. Your motor is 68,000
IRRC. Cut that figure by 50-75% for a dynamic load and its nothing
more than a bandaid. While it may indeed lift that motor, if its
jerked by a pothole or the forklift tipping..dont be standing anywhere
near the LZ.

ALWAYS!! keep in mind the difference between dynamic and static

I should mention my cousin Steve Ojala was a salvager and was up a
telephone pole removing the cross arms and insulators, with the pole
tied to a snorkel by rope..when the base of the pole broke off and he
went the 30' down, with the pole landing on top of him, making his
wife a widow and their new baby fatherless. A hell of a waste..she
never did remarry and the boy is now in his 30s.

Im not hacking on you..Im simply warning you that you need to think a
bit more before hooking up a load like that motor was hooked. I simpy
cannot fathom why you had a forklift under it..and a chain from a
crane on one side of it. Either unit should carry it...nor neither
should. And having that cable on only (1) set of lifting lugs on one
side of that motor means that if you blow a line on the forklift..and
the forks drop..that sling will roll the motor over on top of the
operator before you can say ****!!

Btw..in many states..they wont let you use wire slings anymore.

I am just curious, what states?

In many applications...California is one. Most such work is now taken
up by nylon or plyester slings of various types. Many states have
similar restrictions.

You saw the photos of the 14,000 Ton press crown Im machining? And
all the fixturing and lifting gear etc etc that removed that crown?
(250,000 lbs of cast steel) No metal slings were used. Coast, like
most other serious movers..wont use them. Too much liability issues.
The guy I work for part time..has a rack of slings..probably 30 of
them. In the 2 yrs Ive been working for him on and off..Ive used them
(1) time. To lift 900 lbs of really odd sized fabrication. Did I feel
safe? Ayup. He keeps his wire slings in good condition or they go
right into the scrap bin. Same with his synthetics.

I love ya man! I dont want you to get turned into road kill, Dude!!

(Grin)

Gunner
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...BoringHydPress
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...rentProjects02