Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*

On 2/12/2016 3:41 PM, dpb wrote:
On 02/12/2016 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/12/2016 12:28 PM, dpb wrote:

The PM is old enough it's from the green era before the gold; not sure
just when that was and don't know the precise date for it. My PM66 TS
that bought new and picked up at the factory outside McMinnville around
'80+/- a year or two started out green but was repainted gold before I
picked it up so it was in the transition time period...

I'm pretty sure the planer predates that by at least 10 year and
probably 20 or more...

IIRC when I was looking for my first cabinet saw in 1998 the local store
had green Powermatics. If memory serves me well the PM 2000, a couple of
years later, was the beginning of the "Gold Standard" colors.

I could be FOS but I do recall the green but I was not that in tune with
PM up until the late 90's when I wanted to upgrade my TS.

I think there was a period when they went back to the green after had
kinda' "lost their way" w/ the Jet purchase and all...but the original
switch from green was definitely well before that time. I don't
remember the _exact_ year of purchase but know it was within a year or
to of the move from VA to TN and that was in summer '78...so I'd give it
'81 or maybe '82 at the very latest.

Got it, that makes sense and certainly not strange swapping colors.

Not that it really matters all that much, just was kinda' surprised when
the first chip showed the green underneath... And, this isn't
identically the same gold they use now, now are brighter/more yellow
than this was, even new...

Yeah I recall one of the golds looking kind'a like what I thought as
being not as attractive as the current gold. I'll not mention what I
really called it. ;~) So yours is absolutely from the the old school
bullet proof models I would imagine.

IIRC pictures of old PM trunions being almost intimidating. Is yours
massive? I really recall them being huge compared to the more modern PM
trunions.

I coveted the Model 66 from the old codger's shop in Lynchburg I've
talked about and got by with the old DeWalt RAS until could finally
swing it instead of doing something lesser and being dissatisfied. I
truly wanted a Model 26 shaper but got the little 1/2" spindle Delta as
a starter and eventually found the above Walker-Turner cheap. Those
were days long before the router was what they are today, of course.

--

Yeah!