Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 03:20:47 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:47:00 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:16:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
I worked in TV for a long time, so it is mostly background noise when

So why waste electricity and disturb your peace and quiet? That's my
goal nowadays. Total quiet.

That is impossible. My tinnitus is so bad that it wakes me up. I have to
leave the TV on, a radio and two fans to help mask it enough just to get
any sleep. It is miserable, whenever the power is out. I may be awake
for days at a time, because of the loud whistling.

I think it's my own tinnitus which makes me enjoy the lack of external
noise so much.

Mine is mostly a high pitched whistle, mixed with a low rumble.

My ears ring off and on, usually a high-pitched tone. I never seem to
have access to a sig gen to find out at what pitch they ring, though.
The one I dragged home wasn't working and my mere 3 years as an
electronics tech didn't lend me enough experience to repair it.
Too few discretes, too many ICs.

There are Usenet and Yahoo test equipment groups, but some types of
tinnitus actually generate sound. For those, a microphone, a preamp and
a scope of freq. counter would help.

That is why I stay away rom most name brands that do a lot of
advertising. The 'generic' 80 cent version of Diet Mountain Dew tastes
the same as the $2.29 bottle from Pepsico.

I'll have to try that. What's your generic called?

One is called 'Diet Mountain Holler', from Save-A-Lot supermarkets.
Another is 'Diet Country Mist' from Winn-Dixie supermarkets. There are a
lot of other regional version of these.

Hah! Neither of those markets exist out here in the PNW. I'll check
at Fred Meyer supermarket in a little while. I need to buy some
vanilla for plum coffee cake. I froze 25# of Santa Rosa plums off my
tree this year. 10 quartered plums make a nice, tart, juicy coffee
cake.

Keep your eyes out for it ad whatever stores you visit. You never
know where you'll find it.