Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 2/12/16 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:58:16 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Yeah, failure is more of a "wobble alignment engagement" issue more
so than the soft close part of the slide failing to operate at
all.

I no longer retro fit soft close slides on heavy duty drawers. A
fully loaded kitchen drawer will flex and move on the slides, almost
regardless of construction build. Not to say that the drawer box is
coming apart, but it does flex along the slides due to uneven weight
distribution when opened and closed, and small imperfections in
alignment just amplify the problem.

Somewhere in the a kitchen cab rehab there will be a couple of big
drawers, usually at the bottom of a bank or under a built in oven
that are almost (if not) overloaded. Crock pots, cast iron pans,
Pyrex casserole pans, misc. appliances (blenders, etc.) wind up in
these. I quit using soft close on these drawers as the mechanism had
trouble closing the loaded drawer to begin with, but after awhile
they failed. The soft close mechanism isn't made to be a load
hauler.

For the heavy duty weight carrying drawers, I use the KV 8505. It is
rated for 150# of weight, which obviously won't ever happen. But the
mechanism itself is so heavy duty and well designed that it carries
the 50# or so these drawers wind up with easily with no alignment
problems later. I reinforce the drawer, add the slides and I am
done.

Robert

Those are the line I'm using.
IIRC the difference between the 8500 and 8505 is full-extension, vs.
over-extension.
Both very, very strong.

--

-MIKE-