Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*

On 02/12/2016 12:04 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/12/2016 10:32 AM, dpb wrote:

This is the little guy; the PM-180 is all gear-driven with a matched set
3-pulley drive. (The green round "knob" in the picture is the pressure
clutch for the variable speed drive; it's a split pulley mounted on the
casting withe lever arm; pulling up increases speed).

My very first thought of that picture was that of a double over head
valve cam engine with the timing cover removed. LOL

Cool machine.

It's very handy, indeed. The fella' who cleaned up the one in the
picture (first one w/ the cover off showing drive I found) did a nice
job on painting and all; the silver/black looks good. _BUT_, the
originals were an off-white/Delta machinery gray.

The PM is old enough it's from the green era before the gold; not sure
just when that was and don't know the precise date for it. My PM66 TS
that bought new and picked up at the factory outside McMinnville around
'80+/- a year or two started out green but was repainted gold before I
picked it up so it was in the transition time period...

I'm pretty sure the planer predates that by at least 10 year and
probably 20 or more...

I've an old hybrid Walker-Turner/Rockwell 3/4" spindle shaper that came
from a shop on the VCU campus in Richmond that dates to the late
40s/early 50s. Many of the basic castings have identical casting
numbers to those still being produced by Delta before the buyout and
they went totally to pot...