Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:25:21 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:14:18 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/12/2016 11:06 AM, KenK wrote:
Just about pulled out in front of a car with lights out early this morning.
Not even parking lights. A few seconds earlier...

Why do these people drive with lights out? Save gas - engine runs easier
without generating electricity for lights? Seems I've seen many more of
them in the past year for some reason.

Breeding more of them in your area too?

Sorry to bother you all. Had to vent somewhere.

My car is set to automatic and the lights go on and off as needed.

That said, if it's very dark, it's odd they don't notice that they can't
see anything

This can't be much of a problem anymore, can it?

It doesn't have to be "much of a problem" to still be a problem when
it occurs.

The vast majority of
cars on the road now have daytime lights on, ie if the car is running
the lights are on.

I wonder if "vast majority" is true. I've got high-trim level 2006 Honda
Odyssey. Lot's of "fancy electronics" and features for the time. No day
time running lights or automatic headlights though. (I always drive with
my lights on , so I usually just leave them on since they go out by
themselves 30 seconds after I park.)

Since the average age of cars on the road these days is about 11.4 years (roughly where my Ody lands) is it safe to say that the "vast majority"
of cars on the road now have daytime running lights? I don't know...just
curious.

"Average age of automobiles: The R.L. Polk Co., Average Age of Vehicles on the Road Remains Steady at 11.4 years, According to IHS Automotive, available at http://press.ihs.com/news_releases/automotive as of May 26, 2015."

Not sure if it's a law though.
Probably should be though.

Agreed.