Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 2/12/2016 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/12/16 9:51 AM, dpb wrote:
On 02/11/2016 11:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
So Knape & Vogt tells me they don't make a soft close slide for drawers
wider than 24" because their tests show that the mechanism ends up
failing from the torque, blah, blah, blah.
They recommend their 8500 series for the 32" wide drawers I'm fixing.
They make an under-mount soft-close for wide drawers but I don't know if
there's enough clearance on the underneath for them. In case there isn't
and I have to use the side-mounts, I'm looking at adding a soft-close
adapter.

I promised the client soft-close so I'm looking at these soft-close
adapters. They look promising and very easy to install. I'm just
wondering if anyone in here has any experience with them.

https://youtu.be/U3aS2r6KC6k
http://www.titusplus.com/en/door-drawer

As others said, I've no experience but just a suggestion -- if this is a
paid enterprise as I gather it is, I'd get a pair in and try 'em and
make a decision on that basis...

Or just ignore K-V and go with there's; the slides don't know how wide
the drawer is? In this case, you _might_ be making a follow-up some
years down the road if the drawers are at the extreme end of their

I'd rather take the advice of a manufacture who actually admits their
product doesn't work. How often does that happen!? :-)
In this particular case, the rep told me it's not a matter that I "might
be making a follow-up some years down the road." He assured we that the
damping mechanism was getting off track after weeks, not months or years.

I thought the same thing as you, "the slides don't know how wide the
drawer is," and I believe I said that very thing to the rep. :-) He
said, after the drawer dimensions are wider than "square," the lateral
torque applied when opened or closed on one side or the other is what
gets them off track.

One of my selling points to the client was not having to worry about how
they open and close the drawers or where them grab them. I'm not
selling drawer slides, I'm selling my word. :-)

I can attest that wide drawers can have a lot of wobble back and forth
when the drawers are extended. This is with any side mount full
extension slide.

I replaced and added deep deeper drawers to our kitchen island about 5
years ago. They are soft close and apparently my alignment for one was
not perfect as over time one drawer does not soft close properly. It
still works smoothly and shuts but every now and again the soft close
seems to be defeated on one side or the other. The fix for that drawer
is to simply open and close it several time and it corrects itself. I
am sure that is not always going to be the case with each one that may
begin to have issues with the soft close.

BUT tolerances seem to be important with the slide engaging the built in
soft close mechanism. If the slides have a lot of wobble they could
over time become a bit too sloppy for the soft close be engaged when the
drawer is closed and reload when the drawer is opened.