Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default The Most Expensive Pay Phone Call in History

On 02/12/2016 10:42 AM, Don Y wrote:

Supposedly there were people who could whistle correctly to get a free
call.

Yes. And, the little yellow/red whistles given away in boxes of "Cap'n
Crunch"
cereal coincidentally were tuned to 2600Hz (maybe the Cap'n was a
phreaker?)

One day I was in an office and saw a lock on a dial phone to prevent
unauthorized calls.

Although I had no need to make a call, just to see if I could do it,
when I got home I decided to call a friend by not using a dial at all,
merely by clicking the button on the phone.

Possibly because I was a Ham radio operator and good with Morse code, I
had little trouble with the higher numbers.