Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 2/12/2016 10:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/12/16 3:21 AM, Leon wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
So Knape & Vogt tells me they don't make a soft close slide for drawers
wider than 24" because their tests show that the mechanism ends up
failing from the torque, blah, blah, blah.
They recommend their 8500 series for the 32" wide drawers I'm fixing.
They make an under-mount soft-close for wide drawers but I don't know if
there's enough clearance on the underneath for them. In case there
isn't and I have to use the side-mounts, I'm looking at adding a
soft-close adapter.

I promised the client soft-close so I'm looking at these soft-close
adapters. They look promising and very easy to install. I'm just
wondering if anyone in here has any experience with them.

https://youtu.be/U3aS2r6KC6k
http://www.titusplus.com/en/door-drawer

Have not used them however I saw those or something very similar to those
at a WW show about 3-4 years ago. A company specializing in cabinet
door/
drawer hardware jigs, hardware, and clamps was selling a retro fit soft
close for drawers. FWIW there is also retro fit soft close door hardware
available.

I've installed many add-on door dampers with great success. I put them
on our 70's original on-sire built doors and haven't heard a "BAM!!"
even since. :-)

I would venture to say that the soft close feature on most any drawer
slide
is the weakest part of the slide. These add on units should at the very
least be the easiest to replace should one fail but more trouble to
install
than simply a slide.

You brought two things to mind.
1. It's actually a great selling point to the client to have separate
slides and dampers because of the reason you mention. Also, if you
watch the video, these thing install in seconds. I imagine, the first
one will take 10 minutes and the rest, less than one.

IIRC the current slides are not full extension now.
Would a shorter full extension slide with built in soft close be
giving up
too much if the drawer did not open completely?

Two of my "selling points" were to give the soft-close and full
extension so they could get to the backs of the drawers.
The 8500s that K&V suggested to me are full extension, rated: 150lbs.

Understood but in many cases the drawer can be 2~3 inches shy of coming
out of the cabinet and still be very accessible.

For instance my desk drawer pictured below has a drawer that I used the
next size down in length compared to the drawer. Now if what you are
looking for is way short that would be different.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/