Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Anyone use these soft close drawer adapters?

On 2/12/16 9:04 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/11/2016 11:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They make an under-mount soft-close for wide drawers but I don't know if
there's enough clearance on the underneath for them.

No experience whatsoever with the add-ins so I'll not comment on that
with pure conjecture.

However, I've used KV's MUV under mount full extension soft close
extensively, so I can give you some intel on that.

Rare that an existing drawer will work with them, but you may get lucky.

One critical dimensions is the _drawer side thickness_, which dictates
the the side to side clearance. With a 1/2" thick drawer side you'll
generally need a 5/8" clearance on either side.

Also, there needs to be minimum 1/2" between the drawer bottom and the
drawer side bottom. This forms the recess where the slide mounts. the
recess must allow you to drill two holes in the drawer back for the
built-in "tab clips" to hold the drawer down in the back, thusly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...4 25243692546

Also, the drawer height needs to be RO minus 13/16" or greater, for most
of their under mount MUV's.

I've been reading the spec sheet on the MuVHD's (heavy duty) so much
that I almost memorized those dimensions. :-) I was planning on going
back and taking detailed measurements to see if the under-mounts would
work.

But I found a lot of six pairs of NOS 8500s for 60 bucks shipped. With
the add-on dampers, it comes in just under what I quoted for the "Chevy"
package they chose.

Basically, if I use under mounts, I just built the damn drawers to fit
the slide requirements.

AAMOF, I've made so many of them that I devised an Excel spreadsheet
that calculates the drawer dimensions for MUV's based on RO's.

Easy email, if you're interested.

Again, depending upon the RO, the achille's heel for you may be the all
critical drawer side thickness/RO issue.

I would love to have that spread sheet.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)