Asimov

Default TV builds up huge static charge during reassembly, anybody seen th

"Alain Beguin" bravely wrote to "All" (20 Nov 03 10:19:39)
--- on the heady topic of " TV builds up huge static charge during =
reassembly, anybody seen th"

AB From: Alain Beguin

AB "stephen" a icrit le/schreef op/wrote on 20/11/2003
Hi All,

AB Hi, Stephen,

AB I did experience this, a few times and I think that I can reproduce
AB this...

AB In the shack, plugging a working tv set out of the mains outlet and
AB then carrying it the the Van for transportation back to the customer,
AB when you carry the set, with the tube against your chest, if at that
AB moment you touch the mains plug you could have the symptom you
AB describe.

AB I think that you statically load up from the tube in touch with your
AB body, and discharge via the main plug?

AB Another theory? :-?

Since obviously the dag coating doesn't cover the front of the crt some
charges will naturally tend to drift over and collect on the tube face.
In the old days crts had metal frames that covered slightly over thew
edge and were grounded. Today's tvs and crts constructed with all
plastic and less strapping there is more of a static problem. Perhaps a
strip of grounded antistatic plastic or an aluminium adhesive tape
around the edge of the crt might help? An antistatic spray on the crt
face might help too?

.... Dunno if we'll get that past the CSA und UL 'owever.