Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default First concrete 3d printed building?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 06:44:21 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 11:59:01 PM UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 07:25:26 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

snip

Unfortunately none of the current prinatble plastics appear to like UV exposure , aprt from post cure

https://www.3dhubs.com/materials

I just found this (FWIW):

http://iepas.net/using-pla-for-long-...-applications/

"As a side note, PLA is referenced as considerably UV resistant."

Cheers, T i m

Don`t you hate coming across old forum posts where the trail goes cold, we are going to test PLA UV exposure from 2013 then

http://iepas.net/category/mma/3d-printing/

;-)

Really interesting article and super use of the technology but they printed the long term parts in ABS. not sure of difference between 3D hubs simulated ABS and ABS filament FDM printing.

No, nor PLA as typically used for 3D printing and 'PLA fibers' as
analysed fairly comprehensively he

http://jimluntllc.com/pdfs/polylactic_fibers.pdf

Only plastic that 3D hubs are listing as UV resistant is SLS printed nylon.

I don't know if / how it would ... and it would defeat the object to
some degree but I wonder if it (a 3d printed object used outside) was
painted with a UV protective paint would help? Like many cars that had
fibreglass panels from the factory tended to last better than the
gelcoat / self coloured ones?

Cheers, T i m