James Sweet

Default APC SmartUPS smoked with new batteries

"Brian Friedl" wrote in message
Well, last time i checked, I am not colorblind, and know the difference
between black and red! I assure you polarity was correct.

I think people are overlooking a fairly obvious possibility, the UPS failed
on it's own with the dead batteries still installed. Installing new
batteries gave it a fresh source of internal power to cause further damage
due to the fault. It's probably fixable, but some troubleshooting knowledge
will be needed. Worst case you could buy a new UPS that uses the same sort
of batteries and keep the new ones you bought as spares.