Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default The Most Expensive Pay Phone Call in History

On 02/12/2016 03:43 AM, wrote:
You'll need a VERY LARGE Wallet to make this call....
(Or a fleet of Semi-Trucks filled with Dimes).

http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/248-771-0023.mp3

Sometime back around 1968 I called a friend... on the East coast... from
a pay phone. The operator would have me put in a quarter every three
minutes or something like that until I eventually ran out of change.

When I ran out, she told me that I could complete my conversation at
which time I was informed that I owed a dollar and when I got the proper
change all I had to do was dial "operator" and ask for #23, tell her who
I was and then deposit what I owed.

What interesting times those were. My guess is that if I never "paid up"
they would have reversed the charge, I don't know.