David

Default APC SmartUPS smoked with new batteries

The second cause of blowing UPS's is people replace them with the UPS switch
still turned on and many times the computer devices still plugged into the
UPS and/OR the UPS still plugged into the AC outlet. Either scenario will
cause quite a large arc and blowing of the board.

The batteries should only be replaced with the unit unplugged from ac power,
the power switch in the off position, and all devices unplugged from the
outlets on the unit as an added precaution (not to mention the extra ease in
turning it upside down without the extra cables hanging off it).

David

Brian Friedl wrote in message
Well, last time i checked, I am not colorblind, and know the difference
between black and red! I assure you polarity was correct.

Jerry G. wrote:

I have seen users change their own batteries and put them in reverse
polarity. This blows the main board every time!

This type of procedure makes for the repairs to be very expensive. APC

does
not sell the parts, or service manuals to non-APC servicers. You will

have
to send back the UPS for an estimate. In the end, you will most likely

find
that it may be cheaper to buy a new one! I have no idea if they will

take
back the batteries. Usually, batteries are a non returnable item.