Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor (telephone hybrid)

On 2016-02-11, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

This is more about requirements for service from the central
exchange. In power outages, it does not take too long for cell towers
to run out of stored power, but supposedly the copper to the exchange
must be retained working or repaired in a very short time. Since the
fiber is not covered by these rules, they can save money on the number
of trained linemen kept on hand.

[ ... ]

But as an *individual* customer, it appears to be quite
difficult to get the pinout information to make use of that. So -- if
I'm going to switch over, I want the data in hand before I sign on the
dotted line.

And -- they also have to be prevented from ripping out the
copper from the side of the house to the junction box, because of the
two pair supporting the T1 feed. (Unless they can replace that with more
fiber at no extra cost. :-)

When they call up, or send someone to try to talk me into taking
their package deal (voice, internet, and cable), I get rid of them by
asking:

Can I get static IPs?

I have had the same IP address on broadband cable for over five years.

Guaranteed? And advertised by your domain name, rather than
some Verizon name? (Web pages and e-mail servers want to be reached by
name, after all. :-) And I wind up *blocking* a lot of Verizon IPs
because of spam or sshd login attacks.

Can I get a class-C subnet? (256 addresses).

Does your T1 support IPV6?

It could, if I requested it. I have not bothered, so far.

They can't provide either, while my T1 feed does both for me, so
they go away until the next time. :-)

Can't, or you can't talk to the right people?

Since the communications are always originated at *their* end --
by the people trying to sell the home packages (Voice, Internet and Tv),
*those* people can't give me what I ask for -- so it makes an easy way
to send them away. :-)

T1 is only 1.544 Mb/s. That fiber can handle gigabits per second. T1
and ISDN are the only time they are allowed to cut off the line,
according to discussions that I've had with linemen.

T1 speeds are quite sufficient for my needs.

Granted -- the computers would not need long-term service during
power outages, since I don't have power to run them for more than about
an hour of power company downtime. :-) But the loss of voice
communications for old farts who may need medical assistance is a
different matter. :-) And more likely to be needed in mid-summer or
mid-winter when the longer power outages typically happen. :-)

I just ran a speed test for this computer I got 1.24 Mb/s down and
1.07 Mb/s up but it isn't the only computer that is running right now. I
am also streaming a radio station. I used http://www.speedtest.net/ for
the test. I can get up to 150 Mb/s down, if I want to pay for it. I'll
bet that FIOS will be a lot cheaper than that T1 line, and perform
better.

Probably cheaper -- but only with their own ISP, not with the
one which I am using, which would be charged extra to feed me through
the FIOS, so they would have to charge me extra.

A friend of mine has over 1 Gb/s for his business, but it is only
available in the downtown area. The city built a private fiber backbone
for all their various offices (VOIP and internet), and to help
businesses have better connectivity.

As I said, I don't need that kind of speed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail