Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Help please w/ electromagnetic slip clutch

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 2:33:50 PM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:41:56 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:31:49 -0800, etpm wrote:

Everybody,
I'm working on a project that needs a slip clutch or brake or
something. I'm turning handwheels that need some sort of instantly
variable resistance to turning

Hysteresis ... How about a small PM DC motor hooked to a load and geared to
turn faster than the hand wheel , might reduce or eliminate the cogging . ?

I'd call it a 'generator' because that's what it is when it dumps power
into a load resistor, but yeah, this is a sensible way to go.
One could also consider using an AC motor with variable DC exciting current
to act as a kind of adjustable brake.