Jerry G.

Default APC SmartUPS smoked with new batteries

I have seen users change their own batteries and put them in reverse
polarity. This blows the main board every time!

This type of procedure makes for the repairs to be very expensive. APC does
not sell the parts, or service manuals to non-APC servicers. You will have
to send back the UPS for an estimate. In the end, you will most likely find
that it may be cheaper to buy a new one! I have no idea if they will take
back the batteries. Usually, batteries are a non returnable item.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
My SmartUPS 700 gave me a warning about a week ago that I needed to
replace batteries. Sounds good, they were
two years old. Well, while I was waiting for the 2 12v 7.2Ah in series
to come in, my UPS suddenly turned off and would not turn back on. I
was away from the computer at the time, so I have no idea how long the
UPS was in this state. Depression of the on button would cause the UPS
to emit a dying whine from the small alarm speaker.

At this point, i figured it was because of the dead batteries, and
needed good ones to power up. Removal of the batteries revealed
battery 1 appeared fine and registerd 12.54vdc. Battery 2, however,
has a overheated, bulging cell and registered 10.36vdc. Voltage
readings of the two batteries in circuit while UPS plugged in (but
still cant turn on) showed 7vdc?!? Batt 1, in circuit, read 12v, but
batt 2 read -4v? wtf?

Problem solved. Replaced batteries with UPS unplugged and got a
surprise arc. Status LED's on front came on for a second, and heard
relays click on and off. Plugged UPS in thinking all was well, and
heard speaker beep, then some crackling sounds and finally the dreaded
smoke. I immediately unplugged UPS from live power and battery power.
Smoke appears to have originated from some square caps near the
regulator ICs. Any ideas on why the new batteries coudl cause this?
they were direct from APC.