Bob Shuman

Default Amplifier riddle, intermittent loss of output

From your description of the "click", I'd guess that this unit has a speaker
relay that uses a time delay circuit to prevent undesirable power transients
from getting to the speakers. Also your description of the problem could be
explained by resistive relay contacts. Try increasing the volume when you
see one of the speakers dropping out and see if the sound comes back once
you reach the breakdown voltage. You can look at the signal going into the
relay to see if you have a bad contact.

If this is the case, then if you can open the relay you can try to
file/clean the contacts, but in worst case may have to replace the relay.

Good luck and hope this is your cause since it is a fairly straightforward
replacement assuming you can find the replacement part.

Bob

"Kendrick S" wrote in message
om...
Onkyo A/V Tuner Amplifier R1 loses output to right channel
intermittently. All the following have occurred:
1. The unit is turned on and there is only output to the left channel.
This is what happens most frequently.

2. The unit is turned on and there is output to both channels.
Everything works, the stereo is a stereo; it happened this morning.

3. The unit is turned on and there is output to both channels and
then the right channel (and once even the left) disappears.

I have swapped the speakers so the problem is not there. There's a
big "click" a second or so after the unit is turned on which I take to
be a speaker protection feature. Is it possible that there is a
problem there? Any suspicions and simple test procedures will be
appreciated.