Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default ; TOT; Piggin passwords

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 17:01:42 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 08:24:14 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 10/02/16 01:40, F Murtz wrote:

I end up with extremely rude vulgar passwords in the end because of
this practice.
It is self defeating because everyone is writing their passwords
down
and carrying them with them because it id becoming impossible to
remember them.

The point about a password manager is this:

If any one of your passwords that you use online is nicked, it doesn't
compromise any others.

unless it's the one used for the password manager.

Only a fool would do that.

There's plenty out there, those that give passwords over
the phoine on buses or shops, they give all sorts of details
out because they don't believe anyone is listening.

None of those that do that with their password manager master
password. They don't even know that password managers exist.

Only those that aren't good at remmebering
and asiging passwords use password managers.

Even sillier than you usually manage. I've always
been very good at doing both and use a password
manager anyway, essentially because it makes sense
to use a different password every time one is required
so you don't even have to fart around at all if one
does escape when some operation is so stupid
that it keeps them in plain text on their system.

Since you never use the master password except to unlock the
password manager, it is unlikely that anyone will get to know it.,

unless they nick the device you use for whatever.

Useless when they don't have the master password which is only in your
head.

Most people that use password managers tend to write down their
passwords and use managers because they can't remmeber passwords.

Wrong, as always.

Soem are better at it than others.

No one can remember hundreds of passwords, particularly
with the systems that force you to keep changing them so you
can't even use some system that includes the site name etc.

Since the encrypted passwords are held on only one
machine, its unlikely they will be hacked and cracked either

what happens if that machine dies, or gets stolen.

You get the encrypted passwords from the backup.

and we all know how many have such backups don't we,

Trivially easy to automate that to the net now with something that small.

but if the computers been stolen what's stopping someone from using it ?

The requirement to enter the master password to the password manager,
stupid.

Ferritors monthly, users name dave, password "61"

how would you get to my Ferritors monthly subscription ?
what would you type for the password ?

Makes a lot more sense to use a proper password manager
and have your passwords available on any device you use.

Not to me it doesn't

More fool you.

I only do my banking on one device,

More fool you.

I certainmly would to it on internet cafe machines,
I don't even do it on my work computer.

I do it on two, so I can do it when not at home.

but when I've forgotten my password I go to that document type in
my master password and I see the number 61, and then I remmeber.....
as a kid at school, me and my mates had codes.
And rather than say to my mates corrrr.. look at the arse on that...
I'd wink and say sixty-one and nod in a direction which actually
means look at her/that "sexybum".

sort of cockney slang.

Doesn't work for passwords.

it does.

Nope.

of course you might not know that any passwrod I use for finacail
stuff such as buying/selling I always spell in reverse or I always add
01 to the beginning or at the end or I use a "-" every 3 characters
or it always ends in uppercase.

Makes a lot more sense to use a proper password manager

not for me.

Yes, you are that stupid. It makes a lot more sense to use a
well designed one where you click on a single entry in the
list and have that go to the right part of the site, pull up
the sign in part of the site, fill in what needs to be supplied,
everything done with just one click.

and have your passwords available on any device you use.
And to have it fill out any forms you ever need to fill out
with your data you only ever enter into the form filler once.

and anyone can log on a use my forms is that it.

Nope, no one can.

If you have a reasonable memory and can set yourself rules then
having lots of passwords isn't as big a problem as it might seem.

Makes a lot more sense to use a proper password manager
and have your passwords available on any device you use.
And to have it fill out any forms you ever need to fill out
with your data you only ever enter into the form filler once.

But I don;t need my password availbel on every computer in teh country .

It isnt every computer in the country, just those you choose to use or need
to use.

My email is differnt, thats handy to check anywhere.

And handy to be able to sign in anywhere too.