Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default ; TOT; Piggin passwords

On 11/02/16 14:06, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/02/16 17:22, dennis@home wrote:

The first root password to try is always gandalf.

You wouldn't get root access like that on the Unix machines I put in
System X. There is no root on them. You had to load an archive to get
root back and we never gave BT that.

Dear old Dennis.

If they didn't have root as an UID/GID they wouldn't run.

And you can always 'get root access' on Unix if you know what you are
doing.

you would be surprised what you can do when you have the source and
expert coders.
You obviously lacked one or both of them.

I wrote the source and I was the expert coder, however we will let that
pass, my point was you really don't understand what you are saying half
the time. No make that 3/4 of the time.

Unix has to have an identity for top level processes. In order to do top
level things. If its not root UID=0 its something equivalent.

And if the total machine is in someones possession, trust me they can
get to act as UID=0 and screw with anything they want.

You may have made it a wee bit harder so even - hang on, no even about
it - so that you wouldn't know how to do it, but you hadn't got rid of
root or the ability to become it. Just made it harder

(I say you, but patently it couldn't have been you personally , it must
have been a halfway competent linux coder)

I said Unix not linux, there is a significant difference despite what
you think.