Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default (Floor) tile patterns

On 02/11/2016 8:47 AM, Don Y wrote:

I don't understand. You seem to be saying two different things:
"treats each area as a separate entity which is not what you want to
do and which is IME and IMO a HUGE mistake"
suggests I want to treat the *entire* floor as a single entity (that
just happens to have an odd shape)
"treat each area as separate and lay the tiles to conform to that
area, using some sort of transition between areas"
suggests that I'm NOT treating the entire floor as a single "area"/entity ...

You elided the part that ended the first sentence of the paragraph, had
an intermediary one and then began the last with "Much better to..." as
the alternative.

[House is very "open". E.g., I can stand on the spot where I've proposed
locating this "key tile" and see into all of the rooms that will be
tiled -- with the exception of the guest bathroom (the front door
wouldn't be visible but the entry foyer would!). I.e., there are no
thresholds anywhere.]

It all depends on how open really is "open" and what happens in the
areas that "aren't so much". We don't have the floorplan, only can
suggest what general guidelines there are.

The message from dadiOH is to be very cautious in trying to do the
entire house including transition areas and what hallways and smaller
areas there are as a single unit. That it _can_ be done, sure, but
there's a pretty good likelihood there will be some areas that just
don't work really well on that layout irregardless of the starting location.

But, you'll have to judge on the specifics of the precise floorplan as
it exists. At least you are attempt to model it although i'd also
_strongly_ recommend for these odd areas you actually do some layout of
the proposed arrangement before committing as well, even if you think it
looks ok from the CAD perspective drawings...