Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_27_] Chuck[_27_] is offline

Default Revox B251 Integrated Amp No Output and More

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:35:07 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I figured I would report back on this beast.

I did get the power-supply back and stable. I also got the power amps back. What I did not get back was the preamp left channel. During the cap replacement process, I discovered no less than four (out of 28) cold solder joints, including a resistor that I simple pulled off the board leaving a neat little hole in each of its pads.

By the "Wiggle Method", I got the right channel to go intermittent as well. Suggesting that the cold solders are not confined to the power supply.

Which gets me to wondering if I should simply cut my losses at this point or spend another few hour chasing down phantom intermittents.

Thoughts?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Peter,

We used to sell these 30 years ago. They repeatedly had shorted power
amps and overheated solder joints because they ran the biases way too
high. I didn't take the time to modify the design because we
thankfully sold so few of them. How one could be functional now since
the boards were crispy after 2 years of normal operation is mind
boggling. Probably the worse product Revox ever made. Chuck

---