Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Calling out surface finish

Pursuant to my 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum bar quest, I'm thinking of getting
some bids for some 12" long bars -- assuming that a shop will just whack
them out of 3/16" plate.

I know how to call out "mill finish" -- is there a good way to call out
"about as good as mill finish but no worse", assuming I'm working with a
machine shop that wants everything specified down to a gnat's eyelash?

I mean -- I want something better than +/- 1/16" tolerances and visible
saw marks, because I can do that with my own hack saw. But I don't want
to pay for anything better than +/- .010 and kinda-sorta-good finish,
either.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services