Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default ; TOT; Piggin passwords

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 08:24:14 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 10/02/16 01:40, F Murtz wrote:

I end up with extremely rude vulgar passwords in the end because of
this practice.
It is self defeating because everyone is writing their passwords down
and carrying them with them because it id becoming impossible to
remember them.

The point about a password manager is this:

If any one of your passwords that you use online is nicked, it doesn't
compromise any others.

unless it's the one used for the password manager.

Only a fool would do that.

Since you never use the master password except to unlock the
password manager, it is unlikely that anyone will get to know it.,

unless they nick the device you use for whatever.

Useless when they don't have the master password which is only in your head.

Since the encrypted passwords are held on only one
machine, its unlikely they will be hacked and cracked either

what happens if that machine dies, or gets stolen.

You get the encrypted passwords from the backup.

This is the only way to ameliorate this habit of having
totally different password requirements on sites.

My system works I have a 'crib' sheet written in a particualar
app which has all my passwords stored crypitaclly.
so if yuo found out that

Ferritors monthly, users name dave, password "61"

how would you get to my Ferritors monthly subscription ?
what would you type for the password ?

Makes a lot more sense to use a proper password manager
and have your passwords available on any device you use.

but when I've forgotten my password I go to that document type in
my master password and I see the number 61, and then I remmeber.....
as a kid at school, me and my mates had codes.
And rather than say to my mates corrrr.. look at the arse on that...
I'd wink and say sixty-one and nod in a direction which actually
means look at her/that "sexybum".

sort of cockney slang.

Doesn't work for passwords.

of course you might not know that any passwrod I use for finacail
stuff such as buying/selling I always spell in reverse or I always add
01 to the beginning or at the end or I use a "-" every 3 characters
or it always ends in uppercase.

Makes a lot more sense to use a proper password manager
and have your passwords available on any device you use.
And to have it fill out any forms you ever need to fill out
with your data you only ever enter into the form filler once.

If you have a reasonable memory and can set yourself rules then
having lots of passwords isn't as big a problem as it might seem.