Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:08:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:30:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 07:55:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
om...
On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:11:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Oh, OK. Most of us didn't make our own TV antennas. g

Most of us didn't make Air Force satellite communications gear
either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milstar

Gee, what kind of TV reception do you get from yours? And why are
you
FFing around with antennas?

[Sarcasm ignored]

Where's the fun in that?

I get over 90% signal 'quality' at 30 miles from the transmitter. I
can measure and tell you the levels in dBm if you'd understand what
that means. The off-air recordings I care about are musical
performances which would suffer from any noise or dropouts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugae8zYMLaE

Yes, classical music has an extremely large dynamic range, with no
room for noise, dropouts, or wavering. (can't recall the word for
that) I used to care about dBm, selectivity, sensitivity, THD, and
all other things stereophonic as an audiophile, but the tinnitus gave
me a much different perspective. Now I simply want low distortion and
no longer listen to FM at all.

Fake Roman ruins were a favorite architectural theme in the late
1700's. That one represents Carthage after the Romans were done with
it. I'm not sure what the Egyptian obelisk atop the mountain cave was
intended to signify. I wish I'd had time to visit Vienna. I barely
made it to Salzburg.

I'm not much into musicals, Strauss, or waltzes, but the Blue Danube
has always had a place in my heart. In quad sound at the theater
during 2001, a space mess, it was outstanding.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.