Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default ; TOT; Piggin passwords

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:22:44 +1100, "Blanco"
wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
On 09/02/2016 23:11, Jonno wrote:
David Lang scribbled

I've used the same password for years, nobody has a hope in hell of ever
guessing it. I can remember it.

Recently some site insist on having numbers as well, so I've had to add
one.

Now the bloody things want an upper case letter as well!

How the 'kinell does that make anything more secure?

Surely it's my choice, not some bell end running a web site?

Apparently Tesco are expecting online shoppers to remember parts of
their passwords, like the 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th letters/digits.
Brilliant, the person who told me had to write out the password and pick
out the digits they required. So much for security.

I have so many passwords now that I cant remember that I have to write
them down or put on a spreadsheet, not the best security.

A decent password manager fixes that problem

That way you only have to remember the master
password or use a fingerprint sensor etc for that.

The password manager concept is also being pulled apart. Mine can
generate passwords but the often are not accepted by the host.

I can copy username and password to clipboard but increasingly sites
do not allow these to be pasted.

Whilst I may know my passphrases fairly well I find it a struggle to
pick out the 3rd, 7th and 9th characters without writing it down -
though I have them written down in my password manager with the
position type above, though the editor is not fixed font so another
pain.

Other sites require the entry to be via their little keyboard which
jumbles the numbers up so I have to look for each one in a weird
position.

And as a part of extra security my password manager will not accept
biometric finger print access - no doubt for fear that someone has
pinched my finger for nefarious purposes.

I do try to have different passwords for different sites especially
where banking/finance are involved.

I'm with the OP on this. It's becoming a PITA and I hope someone
comes up with a better way.

--
AnthonyL