Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor (telephone hybrid)

On 2016-02-09, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Don -

Get a small UPS that is made for laptops. That should power the
phone for hours and days. Maybe the control box into it as well.

I use them on my modem and routers. Lights twinkle in a storm, the
net stays up and no reboot/restart needed on the modem or computer on
their own.
Martin

There is a connector for a booster battery pack on the box, but
it seems to be difficult to get pinout and voltage/current specs. The
maker says that they made the box for Verizon, and Verizon says that
they don't have the information. (This from a friend who got the FIOS
"upgrade".) I've resisted so far.

I've not actually looked at his box, so I don't know, but I
seem to remember him mentioning it is an uncommon connector, too -- and
he knows connectors quite well.

Anyway -- having a battery plugged into the connector would be
more efficient and offer more backup time from a given Amp-Hour rating
of battery. So -- if I ever consider switching over to FIOS, I'll sort
of hold the switch-over hostage until I get the details from Verizon.

Another discussion elsewhere shows why Verizon wants to talk
everybody to using FIOS instead of copper. There are federal
requirements for reliability of communication which apply to copper
which do not for the FIOS (so far). Anyone who has health reasons to
need to call a doctor quickly and reliably should stick with copper.
(This was shown during the "Derecho" long term power outage a few
summers ago. My phones (copper) kept working. Those with the FIOS were
lost after a few hours.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--