Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Brit selling fresh air to the Chinese

On 2/9/2016 1:38 PM, Oren wrote:
At the penitentiary we had an Aerosol spray can of "Leg Off". Convicts
just slid right off your leg when the cried and wanted some special
treatment.

Many years ago, a friend/colleague was grumbling about "certain (types
of) people" -- the sorts who go 45 in the left lane on the highway, take
a shopping cart full of items to the express checkout lane, have unsafe
sex, etc. -- that he wished he could just "erase":
"Wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of (aerosol) SPRAY
that you could apply (to them) and they'd just -- *poof*?!"
This became a sort of private joke between us. If we were talking
about someone like that, one of us might suddenly lift our hand up,
make a "pfffffff" sound as we waved it around in front of us -- mimicking
how a woman might apply hair spray in days past.

The message was clear -- the party in question should be "erased".

Some years later, we were living in different parts of the country
and he was in town for a few days. We met for lunch. While driving
along, he suddenly made the gesture and accompanying sound effect
to express his (and my!) disdain for the driver in front of us.

I'd not even thought of the "gesture" in all those years. But,
seeing it, again, caught me so off guard that I broke out in a
fit of uncontrolled laughter!
"Yeah! Exactly!!"

Back in the last century, staff used leather lead filled saps for
alarm clocks if the crooks overslept and was late for work.