Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor (telephone hybrid)

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:56:35 -0600, Ignoramus4548
wrote:

After a couple of decades using UPSes, I became unconvinced that UPSes
increase reliability and especially uptime. The problem is that UPSes
fail for spurious reasons, and when they fail, they leave devices
unpowered.

I've been using UPSes for decades, ever since losing my first large
UNSAVED document to a few milliseconds of blackout from SDG&E. Since
then, power has become more and more unstable, with little glitches
every hour, at worst. The UPS has saved me more than one time that
I'm aware of, and they usually last 7-10 years before something dies.
That's usually the battery, and I've replaced them for $17.

AFAIC, a UPS is an inexpensive and well-reasoned addition to all my
critical electronics circuits. Also, they filter the spikes out
better than power strips, so

Long enough glitches will stomp your DVD player, causing you to have
to spend 10-15 minutes, seeking the place in the movie you were just
watching. That's easily avoided with a UPS. Not a critical need, but
avoiding hassles makes for a much more pleasant life.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.