Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Help, removing a wall mount TV

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 4:17:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:13:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/9/2016 6:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You can use Thunderbird as a portable version on a flash drive and take
your groups with you and not have to be confined to using GG.
That works if the USB ports are not blocked by the security settings.

Bingo!

No external media allowed.

I can charge my smartphone via USB but that's about it.

Some commie outfit trying to keep the spies out eh. I'd not last
working for a big corporation.

For a brief time I worked at a "temporary job", a company where I had to
use a computer and contact a list of businesses, to make sales of their
products. This was in 2001, and we had Windows 2000. We could access the
web, but they had most popular websites blocked. (for example ebay). I
learned that it was blocked in the HOSTS file. But we could not modify
the settings within Windows. I easily got around that, using the DOS
command line, and within minutes I was able to access any website. So,
while others were sitting there bored (between our actual work), I was
shopping on ebay and looking at humorous pictures. I began saving some
of those pictures too. which would get everyone in the office laughing,
because I found a way to also send those pictures to others on the
intranet (not internet), which was just within our building.

The boss never caught on to this the whole time I was there. Soon this
job (being temporary), came to an end. Before I left, I wanted to clean
up my computer, but wanted to save those pictures. We could not use a
floppy (I tried) in those computers. That was simple enough, I just
emailed all the pictures to my own email address at home. Then I had to
once again go to the command line (Dos) to delete the pictures and
restore the original HOSTS file (which I had backed up). When I left
that job, the computer was the same way I got it.

I was always surprised the techicians who maintained the network never
caught on, however if they did, they probably just looked at those
humorous pics and laughed and never said anything to the management. I
actually think they did know, because one of them was always cracking me
up with jokes and I rarely saw him do that with other employees.

I'm sure its not as easy to tamper with modern operating systems, but
Win2000 was pretty easy to tinker with.

Not only would it be really tough to tamper with our OS due to admin rights,
but they refresh the image on a regular basis so even if you could, you
might get to play for a week at best.